J. Allen Murphy
(800) 453-9851 (Toll Free (NC only))
Allen Murphy has lived in Eastern North Carolina all his life. He was born in Kinston, North Carolina where he completed high school. He settled in New Bern after graduating from Law School in 1985 He lives with his wife to whom he has been married since 1979. He has two children. The oldest is Lindsay, born 8/13/87. The youngest is Jordan, born 3/19/90.
He has been practicing law since 1985. He is a partner in the law firm Gillespie & Murphy, P.A. which formed in September 1991. The focus of his practice is bankruptcy (Chapter 13 & Chapter 7 Debt Relief). Allen graduated with honors from Mount Olive Jr. College and continued his education at East Carolina University where he graduated with honors in political science. He was on the Dean's List at both Mount Olive Jr. College and East Carolina University. He obtained his legal education at North Carolina Central University in Durham, North Carolina, receiving his J.D. Degree in 1985 graduating Magna cum laude. He was on the North Carolina Central Law Review.
Allen is a member of the North Carolina State Bar being admitted to practice in 1985. He is a member of the North Carolina Bar Association, National Lawyer's Association and the Christian Legal Society, National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys. He is licensed to practice in all courts in the state of North Carolina, U.S. District Court and Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina, 4th Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Allen, Jane, Lindsay and Jordan currently worship our Lord at Temple Baptist Church in New Bern, North Carolina. Allen is active in the Temple Drama Ministry Team and teaches a Bible Fellowship Group as well as other ministries within the church. He is active in the ministries of Focus On The Family, Family Research Counsel, Promise Keepers, as well as other Christian organizations.
Allen believes that you can be an effective lawyer while being an effective Christian.
Areas of Practice
- 100% Bankruptcy law
- 50% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- North Carolina, 1985
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina, 1985
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1985
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1985
- North Carolina Central University School of Law, Durham, North Carolina
- J.D. magna cum laude - 1985
- Law Review: NCCU Law Review, 1984 - 1985
- Mount Olive College, Mount Olive, North Carolina
- B.A. - 1973
- Honors: Dean's List
- Honors: With Honors
- East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina
- B.A. - 1982
- Honors: Dean's List,
- Honors: Honors in Political Science
- Honors: With Honors
- Major: Political Science
- Bank Of America
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Brother in Christ Flood Relief (Hurricane Floyd), 1999 - 2000
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers
- National Law Association
- Christian Legal Society