Property Liens Can Be A Serious Problem

Unresolved debt can lead to problematic financial consequences, including a judgment lien filed against real estate and other property. If a creditor is seeking a judgment against you, you need immediate legal attention from experienced lawyers you can trust.

At Gillespie & Murphy, P.A., our New Bern, Wilmington, Greenville and Jacksonville, North Carolina, property lien lawyers are dedicated to protecting our clients' assets and property. We have extensive experience with eliminating financial difficulties through debt restructuring and filing bankruptcy.

We can help you protect your home, other property, and your financial security. Contact us today to learn more about managing your debt to avoid liens filed against property or eliminating liens filed against your property.

If a creditor has been unable to obtain payment, eventually it will sue to recover debt. If the court enters a judgment against you, you must make the payment. If payment is not made and you own valuable real estate such as a house, land, or similar property interest, a judgment lien against the property is created.

Under North Carolina law, only real estate is subject to property liens. A property lien is valid for 10 years, and can be extended for another 10 years, which essentially prohibits the sale or transfer of the property during that time, as the property lien makes it impossible to guarantee clear title.

You may be able to take advantage of lien removal through filing for bankruptcy, when certain circumstances exist. Notably, North Carolina's homestead exemption limits the percentage of property value that is reachable by creditors if it is a primary residence.

Our experienced debt help and bankruptcy lawyers are skilled at assisting clients in preventing the filing of property liens and protecting their interests in the event that such liens are filed.

Contact Gillespie & Murphy, P.A., to schedule a free consultation with one of our debt help attorneys.

We are a debt relief agency under the United States Code. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.