Are Your Wages Being Garnished?

If the IRS, or a creditor, has been unsuccessful in collecting on debt or a judgment, they may attempt to garnish your wages directly. Deductions from your paycheck may leave you unable to pay for necessities such as rent or mortgage payments, utilities and food, and/or meet your other financial obligations.

At Gillespie & Murphy, P.A., our lawyers can help you put an end to wage garnishment.

Protect yourself and your family's financial security. We will provide the advocacy and legal support you need against creditors. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.

Lawyers Helping You to Avoid Paycheck Deductions For Debt And Tax

To ensure that you can still pay living expenses, both federal and state laws limit the amount that may be garnished from your wages. North Carolina's laws in this regard impose stricter limits than federal law: North Carolina courts are not permitted to allow wage garnishment on the basis of a creditor who has obtained a judgment against you.

In most cases, wage garnishment is available only for:

  • Federal and state income taxes
  • Child support awards and child support payments in arrears
  • Alimony awards and alimony payments in arrears
  • Student loan payments in default
  • Ambulance services charges
  • Overpayment of unemployment benefits

Although an out-of-state creditor may attempt to garnish wages in North Carolina, such garnishment may be invalid, and in any case, is limited by federal law. It is important to speak with an experienced North Carolina bankruptcy lawyer if such deductions have been or are being made from your paycheck. Your Chapter 7 or 13 bankruptcy can stop these garnishments immediately.

Contact Gillespie & Murphy, P.A., to schedule a free consultation at our New Bern, Wilmington, Greenville or Jacksonville, North Carolina, offices. Our bankruptcy attorneys are experienced in helping our clients alleviate wage garnishment.

We are a debt relief agency under the United States Code. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.