Gillespie & Murphy, P.A.
Call For A Free Consultation : (252) 558-1374

UPDATE: To protect your safety during the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, we offer telephone conferences, in place of face-to-face meetings. Please contact our office today to set up a remote consultation.

“10% off Chapter 7 and 13 bankruptcy filings” - More details

What happens to non-dischargeable debt in a bankruptcy?

Filing a Chapter 13 or a Chapter 7 bankruptcy in North Carolina can help substantially when you need a fresh start. However, there are some debts you will remain on the hook for even after bankruptcy.

Understanding the basic rules can help you as you make your decisions. Ultimately, talking to an experienced attorney about your circumstances is the best way to get the guidance that will work best for you.

Debts you owe because of a court order or judgment

Debts that neither a Chapter 7 nor a Chapter 13 will discharge include child support, alimony, most types of tax debts, most types of student loans, criminal fines and penalties and personal injury judgments against you. A Chapter 7 bankruptcy will generally not affect these debts; a Chapter 13 will need to provide for full repayment in its plan, or you will remain responsible for whatever remains after your plan's completion.

Debts you leave out of your petition

If you fail to list any debt at the appropriate juncture during your bankruptcy petition, you may also remain liable for the debt. In addition, you will need to keep paying secured debts such as mortgages or car loans if you want to keep the property.

Debts whose discharge a creditor objects to

In a Chapter 7, a creditor can contest your petition to discharge particular debts. In some cases, judges tend to side with the creditor and let the debt stand. These include debts incurred as a result of committing a crime such as fraud, embezzlement or other theft crimes. This category also includes debts you may owe as a result of willful property damage or injury or breach of trust. Further, creditors may also object to the discharge of debts for loans, cash advances or credit purchases of luxury goods or services of more than $1,150 within 60 days of the bankruptcy filing.

Make sure to get the right information

If you have concerns about particular debts, be sure to discuss the issue with your attorney. Do not give up hope and assume there is nothing you can do. In some cases, it may be possible to work out payment plans or get some other type of relief.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Attorneys Email Us For A Response

Need Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Four Different Locations To Serve You Schedule an appointment at our New Bern, Wilmington, Greenville, or Jacksonville office.

Wilmington Office
321 North Front Street
Wilmington, NC 28401

Phone: 252-558-1374
Fax: 910-254-3444
Wilmington Law Office Map

Gillespie & Murphy, P.A.
320 Middle Street
New Bern, NC 28560

Phone: 252-558-1374
Fax: 252-636-0625
New Bern Law Office Map

Jacksonville Office
200 Valencia Drive, Suite 119
Jacksonville, NC 28546

Phone: 252-558-1374
Jacksonville Law Office Map

Greenville Office
101 W 14th St, Suite 101
Greenville, NC 27834

Phone: 252-558-1374
Greenville Law Office Map